Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Break

All hail that fabulous time of year known as SPRING BREAK! WOOO! Now it has been several years since Spring Break meant anything to me, even in my past college experience it was pretty lame, and this year it was looking pretty droll, I took no time off from work and had few plans, but as the week has gone on I have managed to get rid of a few shifts, and have made some spectacular fun days! On Monday I helped clean out the garage (lots more to do) and few small errands, then today (A beautiful day) I Spent some quality time reading in the sunshine, and then I took my nieces to the park (what fun can be had on jungle gym equipment!)

To finish the night, I made a fantastic dinner for the family. It went better than I could have imagined. Their was grilled chicken, grilled asparagus, wheat rolls, and salad! The asparagus was simple, blanched then a little olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, cilantro, and pepper. I let it sit for just about 10 minutes then plopped it onto the grill for about 7 minutes, maybe more, just till they were warm and looking a little crispy.

The chicken marinated for several hours, I used the leftovers of a sauvignon Blanc from the night before, (Pomelo-this SB has the flavors of the pomelo fruit which is a large citrus fruit that is the ancestor to a grapefruit.) olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, onion (white) and just some simple Italian herbs (namely basil, and rosemary). And Voila a moist and delicious chicken! After I pulled the chicken off the grill I did place a dollop of Pesto on each breast and a slice of Fresh Mozzarella and broiled them just long enough to melt and slightly brown the cheese. This is my favorite way to zing up boring old chicken breast.

The salad was more of a salad bar, I put everything for salads in small bowls on the table namely because I don’t like any of it in my own salad but the family does. The rolls were actually straight form our local Hy-Vee so just plain old dinner rolls, but were perfect with dinner! After dinner it was time for a quick walk/run. More walk than run on my part.

SO my plans for this week are simple, its supposed to be about 80 degrees tomorrow, so after coffee and breakfast I think I will try to get some yard work done, then off to see Alice in Wonderland 3D during the afternoon, then maybe some simple hoagie sandwiches for dinner, or perhaps panninis, I was thinking Fresh mozz, leftover pulled chicken, tomatoes and pesto!

As for the rest of the week, who knows, but I am definitely going to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment