Search This Blog

Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Story

I thought I would begin this Blog by simply writing an overview of my life over the last few years, in an effort to let everyone know something about me. I could spend a long time going in depth to some of what i will share, but have decided to attempt to keep this Blog sized.

I think it is best to begin at the beginning. I was born in Pittsburg Kansas and was raised their spending a few weeks a year in Kansas City, the closest Metropolitan area to my home town. I always have had a love of Kansas City, the sprawling city seemingly interrupted by miles of nothing, all connected by an endless amount of highway, that moves from treacherously icy in the winter, to hot enough to fry an egg during the summer.

As My Senior year in High school was coming to a close I found myself drawn to a decision to study vocal music performance I spent my freshman year of College at the University in Pittsburg, studying with a wonderful woman named Dr. Simms. I enjoyed my choice in degree, but found it increasingly difficult to deal with performance anxiety. I could get on a stage and act with no feelings but the thrill of being LIVE. But as soon as I opened my mouth to sing, my throat would swell, my breathe come shallow, and my vision tunnel. I knew I was going to have to either find a way to live with these feeling s or pursue another path.

As the school year ended I decided I would leave school and move to KC. I took the plunge, quit my job and away I went. I spent the first few months working with my uncle at his Audio Visual company and then I spent some time as an Assistant Store Manager for Structure, and by the spring I had gone back to restaurants, working at Macaroni Grill. Lets fast forward now to 2005. during the years we skipped I continued to go to school, never settling on a degree, and working in restaurants. I Was a server, a bartender, and a trainer at a few different stores, and in school I tried a degree in Business, English, and Liberal Arts.

In March of 2005 I was trying to decide my next move, when a phone call came from a 'second cousin' of mine and she invited me to take a new chance and move to Hawaii. So I took a leap of faith, sold or gave away as much stuff as I could and packed two bags and moved to Hawaii.

I lived on the Big Island in Kailua Kona for a little over 2 years. I spent my days going to beaches, and taking hikes, camping with friends, and found a part of myself I had left behind when I moved to KC. I became more in touch with myself, found the beauty of life in mother earth, and let my spirit begin to heal. I worked for a restaurant called Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. I found myself attracted to the restaurant industry in a new way. This company really seemed to know what they were doing, and everyone had fun while we worked. I was finally finding something I loved and was good at! I was offered a chance to move to the Island of Oahu and become a manager at the Honolulu store. I left for Honolulu in June of 2007 and began the next step.

I loved working at BGSC and was really good at what I was doing, but my home life was in trouble. I was living with my best friend from college and things were not good. He was having some severe drug related problems and becoming increasingly unstable, staying up for days on end, screaming at me, throwing and breaking my things, and abusing me emotionally and verbally. I had to get out. As soon as our lease was up I moved out. I went and stayed with Melissa, my Hag, best friend, confidant, and head-dweller.

Things were looking up, We moved into a beautiful apartment right outside of Waikiki, and lived a quiet life, as my job responsibilities grew, I found myself with less and less time to do much of anything but I was still relatively happy. I sometimes struggled with homesickness, being 3896 miles from family was becoming increasingly more difficult. I had three nieces I was only able to see once a year, two brothers and a sister in law I thought of often, not to mention my parents. I delved deeper into work. Then something amazing happened in the fall of 2008. I met with the GM for a new restaurant opening in Waikiki. I was offered a job where I was to make more money, but work less! I was told there would be 8-9 hour days instead of my usual 11 hour day, a set schedule, and opportunities to move up in the company.

So in December of 2008 I went to Las Vegas for training, and was set up work for this amazing new venue working for non other than Jimmy Buffett. Things went well for about a month, then it all went down hill. Employees laid off, including management, meant the return of 11 hour days, and even more screwed up scheduling. In July of 2009, I was forced out of my job after several attempts to have me fired by an unsaid employee. I was accused of multiple unfounded violations of policies, in what could only be said was a flagrant attempt to find a way to either get me to quit or have me fired.

So the next step became evident. I have moved back to KC. Here I plan to go back to school, studying environmental engineering working in Urban development, in short I want to help cities and business become more green! I have taken a new job waiting tables at a restaurant on the plaza called Brio Tuscan Grill and so far love my job. I am enjoying being home with my family and spending time with my nieces and my beautiful dig Westinghouse.

Stay tuned for more blogging.


  1. "beautiful dig Westinghouse" Don't you wish Blogs had spell check?

  2. I hope you still feel the same about me as you wrote above..... But in any event, I think you have grown leaps and bounds as a person since you first arrived in Hawaii. I love being a part of your life and watching all your accomplishments, in spite of the failures, but most of all, I love you <3